CTFC vs AFC Sudbury

February 1, 2022
Score: 0 - 1

Match Report

A brisk midweek fixture saw the Seedgrowers welcome Sudbury to West Street for an evening kick-off on Tuesday the first of February. The away side had listed five former reds in their starting eleven.

A slow start under the floodlights meant that both sides took their time to break eachother down, with Sudbury making the first promising plays as their precise passing made breaking down the Seedgrower’s defence a simpler task. Coggeshall however weren’t without opportunities, as the two touch football demonstrated by the reds laid the ball at the feet of George Cocklin, who struck wide of the goal with a powerful effort.

Balogun headed wide soon after, as a well placed cross found the full backs head with ease. The game began to liven up as former Seedgrower Jamie Shaw dragged the ball across the frame of the goal, with a deflection sending the ball out for a corner. Sudbury continued to make home fans anxious, as an over-the-top throughball was hastily snatched by Cafer, whose work was beginning to pile up.

Great progress from the Seedgrowers had also put the visitors on edge, as an effort from Jermaine flew wide of the woodwork, despite the fantastic piercing ball from Callum Harrison. Cocklin found himself firing again towards the end of the half, as a superb strike, that he had hit on the fly, caused worry for Sudbury’s shotstopper, with the young keeper forced to make an impressive save to keep the scoreline level.

Half time: Coggeshall Town 0 – 0 AFC Sudbury

With an increased tempo before the half-time whistle, the game looked set to see a number of chances in the latter forty-five. A chipped pass found Harrison, but the unfortunate flight of the ball meant that the number ten caught it at a poor angle. Jamie Shaw was shortly after replaced by Stokes, following on from a knock that had ruled the player unable to continue. The substitute soon found himself with space to run, but ultimately fired wide to the relief of the reds.

In the Sudbury final third, a corner saw a harsh manoeuvre on Denny, who was left on the floor after the incident. The referee had not noticed the contact quickly calmed the surrounding players, and dismissed the calls for a spot-kick. Full back Harry Critchley had later taken Jamal Balogun out of the air as he caught him unfortunately in an attempt to win the ball at height, a yellow card was subsequently brandished. The home side weren’t without their own caution for long as Joseph Denny cleverly saw Sudbury’s forward towards the touchline, but the officials had deemed that this methods had been unsavoury in doing so.

Marley Adams opened the scoring late on as his looping header got the best of Cafer, who until then had managed to deny the away side. George Cocklin and Isaac Skubich found themselves on the wrong end of the referee’s yellow card in quick succesion as their rash challenges did not go unseen by the match officials. Sudbury were able to see out the fixture until the final whistle, and returned home with three points.

Full time: Coggeshall Town 0 – 1 AFC Sudbury


Flickr Album Gallery Powered By: WP Frank